Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Court of the Air

The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt reminds me of two other books, both of which I love, so let's just get to the point that although I'm not finished with it yet, at the moment I'm recommending it pretty highly.

First- The Golden Compass. The same sort of setting, pseudopast with alternate or futuristic additions, similar aged protagonists, and an equally dark but more omnipotent organization.

Secondly - these books that I don't remember the name of, about cities that move around and eat other cities. I guess it's the same kind of steampunk feel, almost Neil-Gaiman-but-not-quite. Whenever I read Neil Gaiman I feel like he is just really lucky when his writing or stories turn out well. I'm sure that's vast misunderstanding of mine, and he works really hard to get things right, but that's how it comes across to me. Fortunate more than intentional.

Anyway! Back to string classes, pointers, and idiot-styled Python.

No comments: